Available to Travel: Yes
Passport Current: Yes
Mr. Deabler has over 30 year's experience in both government and private healthcare service. He began his career in 1968
as a Health Services Officer with the US Public Health Service in Washington, DC. From 1972 through 1992 he held numerous
executive positions in private healthcare including: Assistant Director, Rochester General Hospital; Director of Operations,
Flower Hospital; Executive Director, Wooster Community Hospital; President/CEO, Littleton Regional Hospital; Administrator,
Clay County Hospital & Nursing Home; and Executive Director, SKMT Hospital, Lahore, Pakistan where he established the first
comprehensive cancer treatment hospital in Pakistan in cooperation with the World Health Organization.
He began his association with the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) in 1993
serving as a Field Representative and Team Leader Surveyor. In this capacity Mr. Deabler and his survey teams conducted strigent hospital surveys
of the Environment of Care© for quality accreditation. During his association with JCAHO, Mr. Deabler also trained and evaluated
new JCAHO surveyors prior to their entering the field to conduct hospital surveys.
In 1994 Mr. Deabler established Health Quality Consults - a national consulting practice specializing in hospital, nursing home,
and ambulatory care center quality improvement and JCAHO accreditation consulting services including; completion of JCAHO’s
Statement of Conditions, basic building information (BBI), and Plans for Improvement (PI). His focus is on safety,
security, hazmat, medical equipment, utilities, emergency preparedness, Life Safety and other areas of Environment of Care©
compliance. Mr. Deabler is experienced in mock JCAHO surveys where a survey team monitors performance
in all organizational areas. He presently serves as President and CEO of Health Quality Consults.
Mr. Deabler is an SAI Key Associate & Senior Accreditation Specialist utilized for special projects and assignments with SAI
client hospitals to assist them in meeting JCAHO compliance requirements. To date in 2006 he has conducted JCAHO preparation seminars for the New
Jersey Hospital Association, Greater New York Hospital Association, and the Hospital Engineering Society of New York. Mr. Deabler
has published articles in Modern Healthcare, Hospital Progress, Hospital Topics, American Journal of Public Health, and
AHA Special Report on International Health.
Presently Mr. Deabler is an SAI Key Associate, Senior Consultant / Accreditation Specialist available for special projects.
- 1994-Present: President/CEO, Health Quality Consults, Concord, NC. Lead a national consulting practice specializing
in hospital, nursing home, and ambulatory care center quality improvement and accreditation consulting. Accreditation Specialist TSIG Consulting, Inc. NY, NY
- 1993-94 - Team Leader Surveyor, Field Representative, JCAHO, Oakbrook Terrace,
IL. Surveyed hospitals for quality accreditation & trained new surveyors.
- 1992-93 - Executive Director, SKMT Hospital, Lahore, Pakistan. Established the first comprehensive cancer treatment
hospital in Pakistan with WHO.
- 1990-92 - Administrator, Clay County Hospital & Nursing Home, Ashland, AL. Managed a 116 bed combined hospital and nursing home. Established a
new home health agency, improved profitability, and expanded services. Managed a $30 million operating budget with 300 employees.
- 1988-90 - Administrator, H & M Medical Clinic, PA, Concord, NC. Managed a 17 multi-specialty physician clinic in three locations in the Concord area.
- 1980-88 - President/CEO, Littleton Regional Hospital (60 beds), Littleton, NH. Conducted several building programs,
created a major referral center with medical school affiliation in northern NH. 400 employees, 25 doctors.
- 1976-80 - Executive Director, Wooster Community Hospital (172 beds), Wooster,OH Managed a three hospital rural healthcare system in central Ohio.
Supervised 750 employees with $50 million operating budget.
- 1974-76 - Director of Operations, Flower Hospital (200 beds), Sylvania, OH
- 1970-74 - Assistant Director, Rochester General Hospital (550 beds), Rochester, NY
- 1968-70 - Health Services Officer, US Public Health Service, Washington, DC
- North Carolina Assisted Living Association, ALFA
- American Hospital Association
- American College of Healthcare Executives, Diplomate
- Alabama Nursing Home Association
- American Academy of Medical Administrators
- Medical Group Management Association
- North Carolina Association for Healthcare Quality
- Trustee, New Hampshire Hospital Assoc., 1982-87
- Trustee Northern New England Insurance Trust Fund
- Standards Review Committee, Joint Commission
- Rural Health Association
- USTA member, college and tournament official referee
- Licensed Nursing Home Administrator, AL
- Represented American College of Health Care Executives on the JCAHO Standards Review Committee
- Faculty member University of Rochester Medical School
- Faculty member Dartmouth Medical College
- Faculty member University of New Hampshire
- Rowan Cabarrus Community College(NC), Economics
- Assoc. Professor, Community Med., Dartmouth Medical School(NH)
- Instructor, Health Sciences, University of New Hampshire
- International faculty, ACHE, World Center Symposium, New Zealand
- MAHEC, Visiting Faculty, Healthcare Quality Seminars, 2000-03
- Board Member, Coltrane Life Center for Senior Adults, Concord
- Board Member, Peoples National Bank(NH), 6 years
- Chairman, Finance Committee, Concord United Methodist Church
- Chairman, Houston Missions project, Concord United Methodist Church
- Cabarrus Co. Chamber of Commerce, Special Events, Health Services
- Consultant and instructor, Junior Achievement, Inc.
- Rotary Club, past President, service chairman-youth education
- President, American Cancer Society Unit, 1987
- Chairman, American Red Cross Chapter, 1986
- Treasurer, Concord Tennis Association
- Treasurer, Union Court Homeowners Association
- President, United Methodist Men, Central United Methodist Church
- M.S. (68) Health Care Administration, Columbia University, New York, NY.
- B.A. (66) Economics, Ohio Wesleyan University, Delaware, OH